Author: INTRODUCTION It has been twelve years since the heinous attack on Mumbai on 26 November 2020. While ‘coastal border management’ was institutionalised in 2004 with the establishment of the Department of Border Management (DoBM) in the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), the management of coastal (and maritime) security in India underwent a paradigm shift after […]
Author: Introduction The genesis of the National Cadet Corps (NCC) is intricately linked to the India-Pakistan War of 1947-48. The war highlighted the need for sufficient strength of reserves who could take up arms when required. This found expression in the legislature (Constituent Assembly) through a demand for military training of the youth of the country. […]
Author: On 26 November 2008 (‘26/11’), a group of terrorists from Pakistan undertook attacks at several locations in Mumbai. The siege ended three days later. By then, the terrorists had killed or injured more than 400 people. The terrorists had sailed from Pakistan and landed at Mumbai using the sea route. En route they had also […]
Author: In March 2018, as per media reports, Neil Basu, the Scotland Yard’s newly appointed Indian-origin Assistant Commissioner of Police responsible for counter-terrorism, launched a new campaign to urge the public to fight terrorism. According the report, of the nearly 31,000 reports made by the public in 2017, more than 6,600 (21.3 percent) resulted in ‘useful’ […]
Author: Tomorrow, 26 November 2016, the nation will observe the eight anniversary of the ‘26/11’ Mumbai terrorist attacks. Precisely two months back on 26 September 2016, the Comptroller and Auditor General of India (CAG) tabled its 2015 report on the General and Social Sector (Government of Odisha) in the State Assembly. The report highlighted that the […]
- Himadri Das, “Strengthening Maritime and Coastal Security in India: The Role of States and Union Territories“, Indian Naval Despatch 1, No 1 (Winter 2020).
Indian Navy Doctrinal Publications
- Strategic-level Doctrine: Core Team Ensuring Secure Seas: Indian Maritime Security Strategy
- Operational-level Doctrine: Lead Author/ Doctrinal Development Officer for seven doctrines on diverse topics
- Tactical-level Doctrine/ Publication: Lead Author/ Editor/ Contributor for six doctrines with a focus on Navigation and Direction
Indian Navy Publications
- Eight articles in in-house journals/ publications of the Centre for Leadership and Behavioural Studies, Kochi; Navigation & Direction School, Kochi; and Signal School, Kochi.
- Indian Ocean Naval Symposium (IONS) Essay Competition (2013)2nd Prize: ‘Conventional Vs. Constabulary Roles: Where should the focus be for navies’