Suriya N Sundararajan
Areas of Research
Law of the Sea
Regulation of Unmanned Systems
Public International Law
Suriya is a qualified lawyer and has rich internship experiences with organisations such as,
- Kochhar & Co. Advocates and Legal Consultants [July 2016]
- Office of Vasudevan & Krishnaswamy (Admiralty Law) [July 2017]
- National Maritime Foundation [January 2018]
He was decorated with a Commendation from the Chief of the Naval Staff, Indian Navy, on 22 March 2019.
An alumnus of Alliance School of Law, Alliance University, Bangalore, Suriya completed his legal studies in 2018 through the BA., LL.B (Hons.) program, specializing in International laws. He holds a Diploma in the Law of the Sea from the Yeosu Academy of the Law of the Sea, Republic of Korea. He acquired his Masters in International Maritime Law, from International Maritime Law Institute, Malta.
- UNCLOS and the Rules Based Order, at the NMF-Commonwealth Security Group Dialogue held on 01 Oct 2019
- Security Architecture in the Indian Ocean Region, organised by Directorate General of Shipping at the Maharashtra National Law University, Mumbai on 01 Nov 2019
- The Loop and Liability of Unmanned Maritime Systems at the NMF-Stockton Centre for International Law Workshop held
on 07 January 2020
- Robotics and the future of Maritime Space, at the Maritime Security workshop conducted by the Raffles University,
Neemrana, Rajasthan held on 02 February 2020
Suriya was also a part of the NMF team which conducted a simulation of the South China Sea scenario in the form of a table top exercise for the Indian and Bhutanese Officer Trainees at Foreign Services Institute, Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India. He was responsible for conceptualisation and conduct of the simulation exercise.