Captain (Dr) Sibapada Rath
Areas of Research
- Modernisation of the PLA Navy
- Security issues in the Indo Pacific
- Naval dynamics in East Africa and West Asia
Captain (Dr.) Sibapada Rath was commissioned into the Education Branch of Indian Navy in Jan 1996. The officer has served as the Senior Education Officer, INS Valsura (at Jamnagar, Gujarat) and Command Education Officer at Headquarters, Andaman and Nicobar Command, Port Blair, besides other appointments. He has completed interpreter-ship course in Chinese language from the School of Foreign Languages, New Delhi. As a keen writer, he has contributed regularly to various service and civil magazines. He was awarded Doctorate in Political Science (Title of thesis “China’s Naval Modernisation Programme: Strategic Implications on India’s Maritime Interests and Security) from Utkal University, Bhubaneswar in June 2018.
He has been appointed by Indian Navy as Visiting Faculty of Naval War College Goa from 01 Jun 2020 for a period of two years.
He held the role of the Executive Editor of the peer-reviewed journal “Maritime Affairs” from June 2019 to December 2020
- Ph.D. from Utkal University, Bhubaneswar. The title of his Ph. D. thesis was “China’s Naval Modernisation Programme: Strategic Implications on India’s Maritime Interests and Security”
- M.Phil. in Diplomatic Studies from School of International Studies, JNU (1993-1995)
- M.A. in International Relations from School of International Studies, JNU (1991-1993)
- Interpretership course in Chinese language from the School of Foreign Languages, New Delhi (2000 to 2002)
- UGC (National Eligibility Test in Political Science in June 1993 and December 1993)
Commander Rath has made various presentations on Maritime Issues to the cadets of Sainik School, Korukonda, Sainik School, Bhubaneswar and Oakridge International School, Visakhapatnam.
- “Emerging Trends in the Indo-Pacific : Policy Options for India” to The Association of Political Science ARSD College, University of Delhi on 26-27 Mar 2021.
- “China in the Western Indian Ocean : Security Implications on India” to the PG/M. Phil students of the University of Mumbai on 25 Oct 2021.
- “The maritime Dynamics of China in the Indian Ocean Region” to the B Tech students of IIT Guwahati on 02 Nov 2021.
- “China in the Indian Ocean Region : Security Implications on India” as a VIP Guest Speaker at the Indian Defence Conclave 2021 on 02-03 Dec 2021.