Author: Since Tsai Ing-wen of the pro-Independence Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) acceded to the presidency in Taiwan in 2016, the country has been under severe diplomatic pressure from China that claims the island as a ‘renegade province’. Beijing’s “chequebook diplomacy” has seen Taiwan continually lose diplomatic allies across wide geographies — Panama in 2017 and São […]
Author: The Indian invitation to leaders of the BIMSTEC grouping to attend the second swearing-in ceremony of Prime Minister Narendra Modi has a number of significant implications. For one, it is a sign that the current Indian establishment thinks that the SAARC framework continues to underperform and is simply not enough to facilitate India’s ambitions. For […]
Author: Despite being a relatively new entrant in the Middle East, China, with its ambitious leadership and ever-expanding range of interests, (not least amongst which remains the security of its energy supplies from the region), has now begun to pay consistent attention to this transcontinental area. This attention is currently being represented through the Belt and […]
Author: In late October 2018, Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena set off a constitutional crisis by sacking Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe and replacing him by Sirisena’s predecessor Mahinda Rajapaksa. i With Sirisena later dissolving Parliament, even members of the Sri Lankan Election Commission declared the President’s action illegaliibefore the country’s Supreme Court finally overturned the President’s […]
- Co-editor with Hoang The Anh, China and Its Neighbourhood: Perspectives from India and Vietnam(New Delhi: Pentagon, 2017).
- co-editor with Hoang The Anh, (in Vietnamese) Trang Quoc voi lang Gieng: Quan Diem Viet Nam va An Do (Hanoi: Vietnam Social Sciences Press, 2017).
- co-editor with Maj. Gen. Dipankar Banerjee (retd), Military Confidence-Building and India-China Relations: Fighting Distrust(New Delhi: Pentagon Press, 2013).
Contributions to Edited Volumes
- ‘The “Regional” Approach in Xi Jinping’s Governance Strategy’ in Manoranjan Mohanty (ed.), China at a Turning Point: Perspectives after the 19thParty Congress (New Delhi: Pentagon Press, 2019), 180-192.
- ‘China’s Evolving Strategy in the Indian Ocean Region: Risks in China’s MSR Initiative’ in David Brewster (ed). India and China at Sea: Strategic Competition in the Maritime Domain (New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2018), 208-223.
- ‘The China-Pakistan Economic Corridor and the China-India-Pakistan Triangle’ in Jean-Marc F. Blanchard (ed). China’s Maritime Silk Road Initiative and South Asia: A Political Economic Analysis of its Purposes, Perils, and Promise (London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2018), 105-136.
- ‘China’s ‘New Tianxia’ Strategy and the Indian Response’, in Josukutty C. A. and J. Prabhash (eds)Foreign Policy and Security of India(New Delhi: New Century Publications, 2017), 141-159.
- ‘China-Vietnam Relations: In Steady State Despite Tensions’in Jabin T. Jacob and Hoang The Anh (eds), China and Its Neighbourhood: Perspectives from India and Vietnam(New Delhi: Pentagon, 2017), 12-26.
- co-author with Hoang The Anh‘Introduction: China as a Common Concern’ in Jabin T. Jacob and Hoang The Anh (eds), China and Its Neighbourhood: Perspectives from India and Vietnam(New Delhi: Pentagon, 2017), 1-11.
- ‘China in 2016: The Pursuit of Stability and Power’ in Vijay Sakhuja (ed.). 2017. Pentagon Yearbook 2017: South Asia Defence and Strategic Perspective(New Delhi: Pentagon Press), 62-75.
- ‘Remembering 1962 in India, 50 years on’, in Amit R. Das Gupta and Lorenz M. Luthi (eds), The Sino-Indian War of 1962: New Perspectives(London and New York: Routledge, 2017), 233-252.
- ‘Is the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor a Threat to India?’ in J. S. Bajwa (ed.), China: Threat or Challenge?(New Delhi: Lancer, 2017), 336-352.
- ‘On the China “Threat” to India’, in J. S. Bajwa (ed.), China: Threat or Challenge? (New Delhi: Lancer, 2017), 29-37.
- ‘China’s Belt and Road Initiative and its implications for India’,Investigating Infrastructure: Ecology, Sustainability and Society, Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung, 25 February 2019.
- ‘India-Indonesia Ties: Chinese Elephant in the Room’,Indian Defence Review, Vol. 33.3, July-September 2018.
- ‘What does India think of China’s “Belt and Road” Initiative?’, ICS Occasional Paper, No. 19, December 2017.
- ‘Does China have a Maritime Grand Strategy?’, China Analysis, European Council on Foreign Relations, October 2017.
- ‘China in India’s Neighbourhood: Connectivity, Political Messaging and Military Diplomacy’, Artha – Journal of Social Sciences, Vol. 18, Issue 4, October-December 2019. 117-132.
- ‘Connectivity Models in the Indo-Pacific: An Indian Perspective’, Maritime Affairs: Journal of the National Maritime Foundation of India, June 2018.
- ‘China’s Belt and Road Initiative: Perspectives from India’, China & World Economy, Vol. 25, No. 5, September-October 2017, 78-100.
- ‘China in Southeast Asia: The Search for a Chinese Model of International Relations’, Special Issue: China and Southeast Asia, China Report (New Delhi, India), Vol. 48, No. 3, August 2012, pp. 317-326.
- ‘Meiguo “zhuanxiang” Yazhou: Dui Yindu waijiao he anquan zhengce de yingxiang’(The US “Pivot” to Asia: Impact on Indian Foreign and Security Policies), China International Strategy Review 2012, Centre for International Strategic Studies (Peking University, PRC), June 2012, 62-72.