Author: Introduction During his speech on 02 May 2018 at the Garden Island Naval Base at Sydney, the French President, Emmanuel Macron, spelt out his country’s Indo-Pacific Strategy. The strategy was based on seven pillars and aimed at placing France as an inclusive and stabilising mediating power. The main principles and objectives of the strategy were amplified […]
Author: This paper was published as a chapter in a book titled “Schools of Maritime Thought: Perspectives from Six Nations”. The book is the first product of ‘The Maritime Research Working Group’ (MRWG) organised by the Sea Power Centre-Australia (SPC-A). The book was released on 12 May 2022 as part of the annual MRWG meeting on […]
Author: Introduction In its 2019 “Indo-Pacific Strategy Report”, the US emphasised preparedness, partnerships, and the promotion of a networked region to realise a free and open, safe, secure, and prosperous region. Moving ahead, its 2022 Indo-Pacific Strategy document, released in February 2022, visualises the region as free and open, more connected, prosperous, secure, and resilient. Although […]
Author: Introduction India has been providing Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) assistance to nations as “its sense of obligation, and historical experience require it to demonstrate empathy for the victims of disasters in all parts of the world”. While rendering assistance India respects the sovereignty of the recipient nation by following a model of “direct […]
- China and India: Maritime Commonalties and Divergences, Journal of Defence Studies Volume 5 Issue 3, July 2011 (Joint Commentary).
- Somali Piracy: A form of Economic Terrorism, Strategic Analysis Volume 36, No 2, March-April 2012
- India’s Critical Role in the Resilience of the Global Undersea Communications Cable Infrastructure, Strategic Analysis Volume 36, No 4, May-June 2012 (Joint Commentary)
- The Maritime Dimension in India’s National Strategy in Krishnappa Venkatshamy and Princy George, eds., Grand Strategy for India 2020 and Beyond (New Delhi: IDSA/Pentagon, 2012)
- Contributed two chapters towards the military centre project – Non-Combatant Evacuation Operations, Net Security Provider: India’s Out-of-Area Contingency Operations, Military Affairs Centre, October 2012
- Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) in India’s National Strategy in Robert S Ross and Jo Inge Bekkeveld eds., International Order at Sea: Anti-Piracy and Humanitarian Operations (Norwegian Institute for Defence Studies (IFS), 2012, ISBN 978-82-91571-15-7)
- The Global Challenge of Piracy in Pradeep Kaushiva and Abhijit Singh eds., Indian Ocean Challenges: A Quest for Cooperative Solutions (New Delhi: NMF/ KW Publishers Pvt Ltd, February 2013)
- Developments in South China Sea in SD Muni and Vivek Chadha eds., Asian Strategic Review (New Delhi: IDSA/Pentagon, 2013)
- The Arctic: Potential for Conflict amidst Cooperation, Strategic Analysis Volume 37, No 4 July-August 2013.
- Maritime Security in the Indian Ocean: A Changing Kaleidoscope, Journal of Defence Studies Volume 7 Issue 4, October 2013
- Rise in Piracy: Case Study Somalia in Ruchita Beri ed, India and Africa: Enhancing Mutual Engagement (New Delhi: IDSA/Pentagon Press 2013)
- Maritime Security in the Indian Ocean: An Indian Perspective, Journal of Defence Studies Volume 8 Issue 1, January 2014
- US Pivot to Asia-Pacific: Implications for the Indian Ocean Region in SD Muni and Vivek Chadha eds., Asian Strategic Review (New Delhi: IDSA/Pentagon, 2014)
- Global Commons, International Treaties, and Order at Sea, Naval War College Journal, Goa, 2015
- India’s Role in Counter Piracy Operations around Africa: India and Africa: Forging a Strategic Relation (New Delhi: Brookings India Oct 15).
- Maritime Security and Order at Sea in the Indian Ocean Region in Jo Inge Bekkevold and Geoffrey Till eds., International Order at Sea (London: Palgrave Macmillan 2016).
- Naval Balance of Power and Freedom of Navigation: Maritime Power Praxis in Vice Admiral Pradeep Chauhan and Captain (Dr) Gurpreet S Khurana eds., National Maritime Power: Concepts Constituents and Catalysts (New Delhi: NMF/ Pentagon Press 2018).