Dr Saurabh Thakur
Areas of Research
- Climate Change
- Blue Economy
- Climate Security
- Marine Pollution
- Global Environmental Politics
- Resilience of Coastal Urban Agglomerations
- Associate Fellow at National Maritime Foundation, New Delhi (September 2020 to present). His work revolves around the issues of Blue Economy, Climate Security, international affairs, Indian Ocean region & climate justice. As part of the Blue Economy & Climate Change cluster, he is involved with research, presentations, capacity building, grant writing and stakeholder engagement.
- CDRI Fellow (2021-22), at The Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure (CDRI). As part the CDRI fellow team, he is conducting research titled, “Incorporating Infrastructure Resilience in India’s Port-led Development Model”.
- VAdm KK Nayyar Fellow (September 2020 to present) at the National Maritime Foundation, New Delhi. As part of my responsibilities under this program, I am undertaking research on resilience of critical maritime infrastructure in India’s coastal urban agglomerations.
- Senior Research Fellow (2015-2019), University Grants Commission.
- Kodikara Fellow (August 2020-March 2021), at the Regional Center for Strategic Studies, Colombo, Sri Lanka. As a fellow, he conducted research on non-traditional threats to security. The results were published as a monograph titled, “Whither South Asia? Understanding Climate Security in the Anthropocene Epoch”.
- Remedial Tutor (2020) at The Centre for International Politics, Organization and Disarmament (CIPOD), School of International Studies, JNU, New Delhi
- Research Support/Curriculum Developer (April-June 2021) for the international workshop/ training course on Blue Economy with the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) and Commonwealth Blue Charter, London.
- Reviewer, Maritime Affairs Journal, Taylor & Francis Publication.
- Ph.D. (International Relations) from The Centre for International Politics, Organization and Disarmament (CIPOD), School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India (2021). The doctoral thesis examines the tenets of Equity and Justice within global environmental politics. The focus of the thesis was on understanding the role that principles of Equity/CBDR-RC have played in shaping the outcomes of the global climate negotiations.
- MPhil. (International Relations) ─ The Centre for International Politics, Organization and Disarmament (CIPOD), School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India. The dissertation focused on the ascendance of public health issues in international politics and Global Health Diplomacy.
- M.A. (Geography) ─ Center for Study of Regional Development (CSRD), JNU, New Delhi, India
- B.A. (Hons.) ─ Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla, India
- Participated in Systemic Risks Workshop, organised by Chatham House, London, United Kingdom, March 2021
- Expert Panelist at the Indo-Nordic initiative on climate security titled, “Preventing Climate-related conflict: A challenge for cross disciplinary research, policy & Practice?” organised by Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) & The Norwegian Institute of International Affairs, Oslo, Norway, 24th November 2021
- Conducted & presented an online webinar on the theme of “COP26 & Oceans: A Historical Perspective” at the National Maritime Foundation, in partnership with The Ocean Foundation, USA and The Ocean Platform, France on 8th October 2021
- Co-presented an expert paper titled, “Energy Security & Security of Energy in the Era of Climate Change” at the Climate Change Workshop organised by Near East South Asia (NESA) Center for Strategic Studies, Washington D.C. in July 2021
- Presented a detailed case of study of oil spills in South Asia at the EU CRIMARIO-NMF Tuesdays Second Chance workshop series in September 2021
- Presented a discussion paper titled “Meeting in the Middle: A Knowledge based view of Blue Economy” at the quadrilateral dialogue organised by Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung, FICCI, NMF and TERI, Chennai, August 17, 2021
- Participated in Green Water Opportunities in the IOR Workshop, organised by Near East South Asia Center for Strategic Studies, National Defense University, Washington D.C., August 2020.
- Co-Presented at the Bay of Bengal Blue Economy Workshop, organised by The Bridge Tank, Paris, France, in association with Agence française de développement, AFD, France, 26 November 2021 and 21 January 2022.
- Participated in Workshop on Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, Organized by National Commission for Women, New Delhi, and ICC, Jawaharlal Nehru University, February 2020
- Participated/Co-Conducted the Six-part Webinar series on Blue Economy, organised by FICCI, TERI, NMF and KAS, September 2020 to March 2021.
- Participated in the Winter school on Climate Change in January 2019, organised by the Tata Institute of Social sciences, Mumbai and the Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India.
- Participated in NESA/NMF Bay of Bengal Workshop, organised by Near East South Asia Center for Strategic Studies and National Maritime Foundation, April, 2021
- Participated in a Workshop on Global Health, organized in December 2014 at Pondicherry University titled the “Social Sciences Winter School, Pondicherry” organized by Centre for Study of Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policy, Pondicherry University & Department of Social Sciences, French Institute of Pondicherry.
- Participated in a Workshop titled, “Development, Democracy and Conflict” organised by the South Asian University (SAU) and Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung, New Delhi, November 2018.
- Indian representative presentation titled “Managing and Building a Blue Economy for Shared Prosperity: An Indian Perspective” Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), at the 9th Expanded ASEAN Maritime Forum, November 17, 2021.
- Presented a paper titled, “All ships are not raised: The Politics of Disaster in the Anthropocene” at the Association for Asia Scholars Conference on Political Economy of Climate Change, 26th November 2021 at the India Habitat Center, New Delhi, India.
- Presented a paper titled, “India’s Transition from a Brown to Blue Economy” at the NMF-The Ocean Foundation (TOF) Dialogue, on 8th February 2021.
- Presented a paper titled, “Exploring Uncharted Waters: Financing a Knowledge Based Understanding of Blue Economy” at Third NMF-KAS-TERI-FICCI Diginar led by FICCI, on 10th October 2020.
- Presented a paper titled, “Redefining Blue Economy: New Contexts, New Meanings” at Fourth NMF-KAS-TERI-FICCI Diginar led by NMF, on 18th December 2020.
- Presented a paper titled, “All ships are not raised: The Politics of Catastrophe in the Anthropocene” at the Annual Convention of International Studies association, Toronto, Canada, on 28 March.
- Presented a Paper titled, “Nature, Nationalism, and the Age of Anthropocene” at the IASA conference at Udaipur, Rajasthan, organized by DAAD-Global South Network, University of Tubingen and ICSSR, New Delhi, January 2018.
- Presented a paper titled, “An unfair climate for change: Understanding climate justice in the Anthropocene” at the RGS-IBG international conference, Royal Geographical Society, Imperial College, London, September
- Presented a paper titled, “Climate Security in the Anthropocene: A South Asian perspective” at Hanoi Sustainability Forum (November 2018), at Hanoi, Vietnam.
- Presented a paper titled, “Securing Himalayan Waters: The Geopolitical Importance of Himalayan Rivers in 21st Century” at the Himalayan Studies Conference-2015 (4th-5th November 2015) at Summer Hill,
- Presented a paper titled, “Environment and Security: Debates and Challenges in the Twenty First Century” at the International Seminar on Global Climate Change: Impact on Developing Countries, organized by Union Christian College, Shillong on 15-17 October 2015.
- Presented a paper titled, “Overcoming an Impasse: Trade and Global Health Diplomacy” at the 43rd Indian Association of American Studies Annual International Conference during 5-7th September 2014 at BITS Pilani KK Birla Goa Campus, Goa, India, organized jointly by Department of Humanities & Social Sciences & Department of Economics, BITS Pilani KK Birla Goa Campus and Indian Association for American
- Presented a Paper titled, “Understanding nature in the age of the Anthropocene: A conceptual review” at the International Conference on Women Empowerment, Education and Social Sciences, 2015.