Dr Oliver Nelson Gonsalves
Areas of Research
- Global energy transition and sustainable energy security
- Grid-interactive renewable energy in India and China
- Energy geopolitics
- Global oil and gas industry
- Research Fellow, National Maritime Foundation, New Delhi (since October 2021)
- Associate Fellow, National Maritime Foundation (NMF), New Delhi (July 2019 – September 2021)
- Editor, Energy Review, Energy Studies Programme, School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi (April – December 2019)
- Teaching Assistant, Energy Studies Programme, School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi (March – May 2019)
- Editorial Assistant, Dezan Shira and Associates, New Delhi (January – July 2018)
- Visiting Research Fellow, Azerbaijan Diplomatic Academy (ADA University), Baku, Azerbaijan (August – October 2017)
- Research Assistant, Energy Studies Programme, School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi (March-August 2017)
- Research Intern, Institute of Chinese Studies, Delhi (February-June 2015)
- PhD in Energy Studies, Thesis: ‘Energy Transition in India and Germany: Developments in Grid-connected in Wind and Solar Energy, 2006-2016’, Energy Studies Programme, School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi (2020)
- MPhil Chinese Studies, Centre for East Asian Studies, School of International Studies, New Delhi (2014)
- MA Politics (with specialisation in International Relations), School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi (2012)
- BA (Political Science with Honours), St. Xavier’s College, University of Mumbai (2010)
- “India’s Gas-based Economy: Harbinger of Energy-Insecurity?”, national workshop on Climate Change – New Age Evolution, jointly organised by The Energy Resource Institute (TERI) and the Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung (KAS), in Bhubaneshwar, Odisha, India, 14–16 March 2022.
- “India’s Gas-based Economy: Harbinger of Energy-Insecurity?” Indo-Pacific Regional Dialogue 2021, organised by the National Maritime Foundation and the Indian Navy, in New Delhi (online presentation), 29 October 2021,. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk9scQbXkIU&t=28198s
- “Mitigating Vulnerabilities in India’s Energy Security: Transitioning from Oil”, Lecture delivered for an International Relations certificate course, Department of History, Jai Hind College, Mumbai (online presentation), 24 September, 2021.
- “The Security-of-Energy in the Era of Climate Change”, National workshop on, India’s Energy Scenario- 2040 and Beyond, jointly organised by The Energy Resource Institute (TERI) and the Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung (KAS), in Leh, Ladakh Union Territory, India, 06–08 September 2021.
- “Energy Security and Security-of-Energy in the Era of Climate Change”, Near East South Asia Center for Strategic Studies Executive Seminar 03-21, National Defense University (NDU), Washington D.C. (online presentation), 27 July – 03 August 2021.
- “Chinese Interests in the Indian Ocean”, Center of Policy Research and Governance, New Delhi (online presentation), 24 May, 2021.
- “Chinese Interests in the Indian Ocean Region”, Department of Foreign Languages (Chinese Language), Sanchi University of Buddhist Indic Studies, Sanchi, Madhya Pradesh, 11 June, 2020. https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=255517485512857
- “Hydrocarbons in the Arctic: Geopolitical Implications for India”, Climate Change and Security: Implications of ‘Securitization’ for International and National Realms, Climate Change conference organised by Konrad Adenauer Stiftung (KAS), New Delhi, and The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI), New Delhi, at Kumarakom Kerala, 21-22 February 2020.
- “Side-stepping the Malacca Strait Dilemma: Exploring the Canadian Alternative to Mitigate China’s Oil Insecurity”, Institute of Chinese Studies (ICS), Delhi, 20 February 2020. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fk0-MTe3-w
- “Seabed Mineral Resources and Oil – How Feasible is this pursuit?”, The South China Sea: Current Challenges and Future Perspective, International Conference on South China Sea, dialogue organised by the Centre for Security Studies (CSS), Jindal School of International Affairs (JSIA), O. P. Jindal Global University, at India International Centre, New Delhi, 29 November 2019.
- “Energy and Maritime Commerce: An Indian Perspective”, Maritime Security Challenges: Sharing Perspectives, Inaugural Dialogue between the National Maritime Foundation (NMF) and the International Institute for Migration and Security Research (IIMSR), Bulgaria, at the NMF Conference Room, New Delhi, 13-14 November 2019.
- “Identifying Geopolitical Vulnerabilities in the South China Sea: Examining Economic Interests and Legal Avenues”, Vulnerability of Maritime Zones and their Impact on Regional Stability and Economic Development, workshop organised by the National Maritime Foundation (NMF), New Delhi, the Embassy of Vietnam, New Delhi and the Centre for Vietnam Studies, New Delhi at the NMF Conference Room, New Delhi, 09 September 2019.
- “Understanding the Geopolitical Significance of the International Solar Alliance”, Annual International and Area Studies Convention, School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, 30 January – 01 February, 2019.
- “Positioning Energy Transition in Energy Security: A study of China’s Energy Demand Management Policies”, Trends & Transformations in China’s Geo-Politics, Strategy, Society & Business, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, 08-09 June, 2018.
- “Coal versus Renewables in India: Analysing the Ascending and the Entrenched in Energy Transition”, International Conference on Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, Gurugram, Haryana, 17-18 April, 2018.
- “Energy Transition in India: Attaining the high-water mark of utility-scale renewables”, Energy Studies Faculty-Scholars Seminar. School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, 15 March 2017.